Boat Trailers Are Not One Size Fits All
When it comes to buying your first boat, for many of us it is a dream come true. Boating provides a great substitute for getting away from reality, at least for a short time anyways. Relaxing with your family and friends, Skiing, fishing or just cruising. What more can any man ask for? Buying the boat, however, isn’t where the shopping and excitement ends. You must take into consideration the boat trailer and its accessories. After all it is the key element to your boating if you wish to transport their new purchase from lake to lake or sea to sea. Most people take their boat trailer for granted, and seem to think that any trailer will simply suit their boat. As we will soon find out, this is not the case!
When it comes down to buying a boat trailer you will realise it isn’t like buying your boat itself. Options on boat trailers are pretty plentiful and you will need some research to make sure the trailer purchased is the right one for the boat in question or at worst case, you can modify it to suit your needs. For example, a boat trailer that handles a Quintrex fishing boat, likely won’t be the best for hauling a cabin cruiser. Trailers can run the gamut too, from those with every imaginable option to the more simplistic versions. What works and what doesn’t for a particular boat and budget will be the biggest dilemma for most new boat buyers and users.
What are some important factors to consider when looking at boat trailers include?
- 1. Size of the boat. This is most likely the major concern when looking at trailers. It’s important to make sure the boat you’ve purchased will fit tight and secure on your trailer. Look at your boats manufacturer recommendations on size and weight before choosing a particular trailer over another brand.
- 2. Safety features. Quality trailers offer their buyers a number of safety features to ensure the boat, its owners and other people on the road are safe during transportation of their boat. Safety features can range from special locking mechanisms to break and turn lights. The lights, however, will likely be required by law, so it’s not a good idea to consider a trailer with out lights as an option.
- 3. Launching & Retrieving features. There are manual boat trailers and then there are those that come with special devices to make loading and unloading a bit easier on their users. Adjustable trailers are chosen by many simply because it makes hauling a snap.
- 4. Trailer Pricing. Boat trailers can cost a lot of money or they can be fairly cheap. It’s a good idea to decide on a budget before going out and buying a new trailer. A trailer with every bell and whistle might not fit your personal budget, and may not even be suitable for your boat type. A trailer should focus on being safe and secure and have only the options necessary to suit your needs.
- 5. Performance reports. There will be a lot riding on your trailer, so it’s a good idea to check the reputations of different makes and models before deciding to buy a particular brand. Check with consumer reporting agencies and even look up past reports from owners to see how your potential trailers fare. Use internet forums and product review sites. This allows you to talk directly to other owners and you dont have to worry about being sold false stories by trailer dealers who are just trying to get a sale.
- 6. Hauling vehicle. Some trailers are meant to work with any type of vehicle, but others are designed more specifically to work with 4wd or SUV’s. Make sure the trailer you’re looking at fits your vehicle and can be towed safely and securely.
Other important factors to consider are the type of options your boat trailer comes with. Is your boat manufactured from fiberglass? or aluminium? For example, Boat trailer rollers made out of soft polyurethane are not suitable for aluminium boats. It is also important that your trailer bunks, rollers, brackets, skids & hardware are adjusted properly to suit your boat. This will help to avoid damage and allow for a quick safe and easy launch and retrieval at the ramp.
Always keep in mind, cheaper is not always better, and more expensive does not always mean better. Chose a boat trailer that suits your type of boat and needs. In most cases your old existing trailer may not need replacing at all? Roxom boat trailer parts online store offers the highest quality trailer spare parts at the lowest prices which may allow you to simply refurbish your old warn down parts into as good as brand new trailer at a fraction of the cost.
Contact us today as we are happy to discuss your options on choosing boat trailer parts to make your trailer suitable for your style boat.
Please Leave Your Comments Below & Click The Like/Share Buttons
- How To Adjust Boat Trailer Rollers
- Different Types Of Boat Trailer Rollers
- How To Choose The Right Boat Trailer
- How To Launch A Trailer Boat Safely